Duke of Edinburgh Award
Welcome to the DofE! By doing your DofE, you’re in for an amazing adventure and masses of fun as you take part in a range of activities, all leading to the achievement of an Award that’s recognised by universities and employers alike.
What is DofE?
Southampton City Explorers offers all three Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards: Bronze (Age 14+), Silver (Age 15+) and Gold (Age 16+).
With assistance from adult Leaders, you will select and set objectives in each of the following areas:
- Volunteering: Undertaking service to individuals or the community. (Such as becoming a young leader)
- Physical: Improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: Developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: Training, practice for and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
Introduction to DofE
Look out for when your unit introduces DofE. It’s the first place to start your DofE journey. You can expect the following…
- Induction: Finding out all about DofE and which award is right for you.
- Choosing ideas for Physical, Volunteering, and Skills. (Ideas here)
- Meet other Explorers in your district who are interested too.
You’ll need to attend the expedition training weekend to learn all the skills you need for your expedition. You’ll also form your expedition teams and practise your skills in the New Forest. We’ll be covering all of this in 2 days…
- Module A: Team Building
- Module B: Campcraft, Equipment and Hygiene
- Module C: Stoves and Cooking
- Module D: Navigation & Route Planning
- Module E: First Aid, Emergencies and Risks.
- Module F: Weather and Countryside Code
- Module G: Projects and Assessment.
Practice and Assessed Expedition
For your Expedition, you will need to plan, train for and complete an unaccompanied, self-reliant expedition with an agreed aim. You must do the correct training for your level and mode of travel, at least one practice expedition, a qualifying expedition (the one that is assessed) and a final presentation in order to complete the section.
2020 Expedition Dates – Provisional (TBC by 30/9/19)
To take part in DofE you are making a commitment to attend all of the following dates for the level of your award (Bronze or Silver)
|1-2 Feb ‘20||Bronze, Silver & Gold||Expedition Training Weekend at Wilverley, New Forest|
|21-22 March ‘19||Bronze||Bronze Practice Expedition|
|23-26 March (during unit meeting)||Bronze||Bronze Evening debrief and route planning evening|
|25-26 April ‘20||Bronze||Bronze Assessed Expedition|
|23-25 May ‘19||Silver||Silver Practice Expedition|
|July TBD||Silver||Assessed Expedition|
How do I get started? (Registration)
When you start doing your DofE, you need to pay a £24 fee(Bronze/Silver) or £31 fee (Gold) for your Welcome Pack, which includes your eDofE account and the certificate and badge when you achieve your Award.
You can register in two different ways:
- Register online using PayPal or credit card OR
- Download and complete a paper registration form,. Print and send to the address on the form with a cheque payable to HCSC
When completing the online forms you will need the following information:
- District: Southampton City
- DofE Leaders: Amanda Jukes, Luke Hall, Sam Chapman, Victoria Woods. Ask your leader if you are unsure which name to use.