Duke of Edinburgh Award
COVID UPDATE – Jan 2021
At this time of year the DofE team would usually be busy putting together our training weekend, to prepare Explorers for the expedition season.
As you know currently Scouting cannot meet face to face and this is not the type of training that can successfully done over Zoom, so we will just have to wait for better times. We don’t anticipate being allowed to have overnight stays straight away but we should be able to carry out a couple of socially distanced days training in the springtime. We have little idea of exact dates, but just wanted to reassure you that as a District we are committed to running DofE Expeditions this year and do what we can to support you with the other DofE sections.
If you have not signed up for DofE the link is: http://www.hampshirescouting.org.uk/youth-programme/duke-of-edinburgh-award/participants-registering-and-getting-started/
Please be signing into your eDofE accounts and working on the other sections where you can. If Covid restrictions are preventing you from working on any section then you can change your plans so that you can continue.
If you need any help or advise and can’t find the answers on the website then drop us an email and we will try to help: email@example.com
Welcome to the DofE! By doing your DofE, you’re in for an amazing adventure and masses of fun as you take part in a range of activities, all leading to the achievement of an Award that’s recognised by universities and employers alike.
Southampton City Explorers offers all three Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards: Bronze (Age 14+), Silver (Age 15+) and Gold (Age 16+).
What is DofE?
With assistance from adult Leaders, you will select and set objectives in each of the following areas:
- Volunteering: Undertaking service to individuals or the community. (Such as becoming a young leader)
- Physical: Improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: Developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: Training, practice for and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
Introduction to DofE
Look out for your invite in January to sign up for DofE via OSM. It’s the first place to start your DofE journey. You can expect the following…
- Induction: Finding out all about DofE and which award is right for you.
- Choosing ideas for Physical, Volunteering, and Skills. (Ideas here)
- Meet other Explorers in your district who are interested too.
Training Weekend – You must attend this to begin your expedition journey.
You’ll need to attend the expedition training weekend in Febuary to learn all the skills you need for your expedition. You’ll also form your expedition teams and practise your skills in the New Forest. We’ll be covering all of this in 2 days…
- Module A: Team Building
- Module B: Campcraft, Equipment and Hygiene
- Module C: Stoves and Cooking
- Module D: Navigation & Route Planning
- Module E: First Aid, Emergencies and Risks.
- Module F: Weather and Countryside Code
- Module G: Projects and Assessment.
Practice and Assessed Expedition
For your Expedition, you will need to plan, train for and complete an unaccompanied, self-reliant expedition with an agreed aim. You must do the correct training for your level and mode of travel, at least one practice expedition, a qualifying expedition (the one that is assessed) and a final presentation in order to complete the section.
2021 Expedition Dates
DUE TO THE PANDEMIC ALL EXPEDITIONS ARE ON HOLD. YOU CAN STILL WORK ON YOUR OTHER SECTIONS AND COMPLETE THE EXPEDITION WHEN THE PANDEMIC IS OVER.
To take part in DofE you are making a commitment to attend all of the following dates for the level of your award (Bronze or Silver)
|Feb ‘20||Bronze, Silver & Gold||Expedition Training Weekend at Wilverley, New Forest|
|April ‘20||Silver||Practice Expedition|
|May ’20||Silver||Assessed Expedition|
How do I get sign up? (Registration)
Make sure you sign up for the training weekend on OSM. Invites are sent out in January each year.
When you start doing your DofE, you need to pay a £24 fee(Bronze/Silver) or £31 fee (Gold) for your Welcome Pack, which includes your eDofE account and the certificate and badge when you achieve your Award.
You can register in two different ways:
- Register online using PayPal or credit card OR
- Download and complete a paper registration form,. Print and send to the address on the form with a cheque payable to HCSC
When completing the online forms you will need the following information:
- District: Southampton City
- DofE Leaders: Amanda Jukes, Luke Hall, Sam Chapman, Victoria Woods. Ask your leader if you are unsure which name to use.
What if i need help with the skill, volunteering and physical sections.
Fear not! We have a drop in session every month of the year at the same time as Young Leaders’ meeting at the 1st Aldermoor HQ. Come and see us between 7-8pm on the 2nd Thursday of each month.For directions click here