BCU Courses 2017
Paddle Power Start
- This award is for any beginners who wish to try the sport in one
- A BCU certificate will be awarded on completion of this
Single troop taster sessions can be scheduled if an individual troop has sufficient numbers (10+)
STAR / PADDLE POWER PASSPORT (For Beginners)
- This course will contain the basic skills of kayaking and a short evening
- SCOUTS who achieve this award will qualify for the PADDLESPORT ACTIVITY BADGE and part of the ADVENTURE CHALLENGE BADGE
This year we will have two formats of courses:
- Weekday paddling session on Tuesday and Wednesday
- Weekend courses Weekday courses
STAR / PADDLE POWER DISCOVERY (For Intermediates)
- Suitable for Scouts and Explorers who have passed their 1 Star / Paddle Power Passport
- This course will contain paddle skill elements for both kayaks and canoes. Rescue and safety work will be
- The course requires two separate trips to be completed. These may occur on weekends
- EXPLORERS who achieve this award will qualify for the PADDLE SPORT ACTIVITY BADGE
- Cost to cover transport on trips will be in additional to the session
The participants are usually assessed on a continuous assessment basis with progress marked on the participants BCU progress cards. This means if you do not complete a qualification in one year your progress can be carried forward to the next year.
STAR (For Advanced, Aged 14+)
- We are unable to offer a BCU 3 Star course this year, we hope to rectify this next year, instead we are offering a “White Water 1” course based around the weir at Woodmill
- We hope to increase our provision for our advanced paddlers, more details to follow
WHITE WATER 1 (For Advanced, Aged 14+)
- Suitable for Scouts, Explorers and Leaders over 14 who have passed their 2 Star / Paddle Power Discovery
- This is not a BCU course
- The times and days vary as we need tidal conditions for the weir
- Places will be limited to 8
- In order to do this course we will need some parental help with transport
- Each day starts at the 25th then moves to the weir
Weekly Course Fees (Per Session)
£3.50 – For Member Groups (1st, 2nd, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 22nd, 25th, 26th and City District Explorers).
£7.00 – For Non Member Groups (Scouts or Guides only)
Weekend Course Fees (Per Session)
£12.00 – For Member Groups (1st, 2nd, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 22nd, 25th, 26th and City District Explorers).
£24.00 – For Non Member Groups (Scouts or Guides only)
To obtain a British Canoe Union (BCU) award there is an additional cost for the paddle power progress cards and star test certificates. These are available for each course at additional cost.
Required: Old trainers, nylon lightweight anorak, swim wear, T-shirt, shorts, jumper and towel.
Optional: Wet suit, wet suit shoes and waterproof trousers
The personal equipment is likely to get wet so bring a dry set of clothes (including shoes). Bring bags to separate your wet and dry clothing.
If the participant needs to wear glasses for this activity please bring a suitable securing strap.
All Scouts and Explorers wishing to go afloat must pass the District Swimming Test, which can be arranged through your Scout or Explorer Leader.
For participants under 18 years old bookings can only be accepted with a completed parental consent form.
Parents and Leaders
Parents and leaders are welcome to book on these courses, subject to availability.
The club is based at the 25th Southampton Scout H.Q. at Crosshouse Public Hard, Crosshouse Road, just by the Itchen Bridge. All courses start here unless otherwise stated
Any relevant health issues must be disclosed before the start of the course or any individual session
For weekend courses please bring a packed lunch and drink, we have no catering facilities.
Code of Conduct
At all times participants must follow the instructors instructions and must wear buoyancy aids while on the water
Gary Prince, Canoe Club Captain
Address: 52 Wilton Crescent, Upper Shirley, Southampton. SO15 7QH
Course Availability and Replies
PLEASE DO NOT DELAY REPLIES AS WE WILL ARE UNABLE TO START COURSES UNTIL WE HAVE SUFFICIENT NUMBERS TO RUN THE COURSES
What Happens Next?
- For all courses except the Paddle Power Start (Taster Sessions) fill in the application form / parental consent form (if necessary) and return it to Gary Prince
- For Paddle Power Start (Taster Sessions) speak to your Scout or Explorer Leader
- You will be notified by telephone as soon as we have sufficient numbers to run a course